Friday 24 July 2009

Reflections

As my baby brother hits the job market as a freshly minted engineering graduate & engages in a whirl of interviews it makes me reflect on my "career" so far. Both my siblings are heading the more conventional route, gainfully employed in a corporate structure with an easily defined job title, unlike their older sister!

I'm firmly in the slash category (which is getting more common for generation Y according to this article) or as Ian Sanders would put it, a juggler.

Although it causes endless confusion at family gatherings & networking events (I have a nifty "elevator speech" but the general consensus is often that I play on facebook all day) for me it is the strength that underlies everything I do.

It means that every day is different, no danger of being bored & offers a wider take on things than normal. The fusion of a very traditional wholesale business & a new media consultancy is great. I have my own lab to test new ideas & projects on a daily basis & it also means that underneath all the fun web stuff is a need for effectiveness, increased sales & staying in business. Not very web 2.0 I know in the land of the crazy valuation but I would say more realistic for 99% of companies.

No comments: